Name : Tri Ilma Septiana
NIM : 0908066101
Class : Magister of English Education (Non Regular)
The Evaluation of Interactive English Language Tutorial CDs
- Title : EURO Talk Now Interactive.
Level : Beginner to Intermediate.
Aspect of Skill : Speaking, Listening, and Vocabulary.
- Interactivity (feedback and instruction): This program fair interesting for students at beginner to intermediate level. It reflects from some features provided in this program such as word practice, speaking practice and games which can stimulate students to engage actively in learning English. The program focuses to improve students fluently in speaking and comprehension in listening. Besides, it also assists students to enrich vocabularies.
- Usability (Flexibility): This program is very flexible and sophisticated. It provides information button explains to the users (students) how to operate and play it. Students can also install this program easily in their personal computer (PC) notebook, or laptop.
- Content appropriateness: This program provides varied materials which appropriate with students at beginner to intermediate level. The available materials in this program were designed very familiar with students, for instance food, color, time, number, part of body, and shopping. Hence, students can learn and understood easily. Furthermore, this program offers some advantages. First, it gives opportunity to student to practice their speaking by repeating some words or sentences which spoken by native speakers (male & female). Second, it assists students in improving their comprehension in listening skill. Third, it assists students to enrich their vocabularies. In Brief. This program is very useful to fulfill students’ need in learning English.
- Effectiveness: The materials in this program are more focus to help students in mastery of vocabulary and drill students’ pronunciation. Therefore, in my opinion this program inappropriate used to improve students’ mastery of Grammar.
- Performance (Attractiveness): The performance of this program is quite good. It proved by it appearance which shows colorful layout, amusing chart beside the instructor (native speakers), and wonderful back sound.
- Title : Talk Now.
Level : Beginner to Intermediate.
Aspect of Skill : Speaking, Listening, and Vocabulary
- Interactivity (feedback and instruction): This program is very excellent. It encourages students to practice their speaking ability by repeating some phrases or sentences spoken by native speaker with different dialects (American and British). Furthermore, it also gives opportunity to students to engage actively in this lesson by recording their voices. Hence, hopefully in the end of lesson the students obtain much improvement in speaking and listening.
- Usability (Flexibility): This program is very flexible for students at beginner to intermediate level. It very easy to install and operate by young learner even they never used this program (they only click some buttons and follow the instruction).
- Content appropriateness: This program provides some interesting methods in learning English especially in vocabulary and speaking. The materials in this program such as greetings, at the restaurant, at the hotel, shopping, and on the phone are similar with students’ material lesson which taught in school. Thus, this program could be alternative material which can use by teacher beside conventional material in their books.
- Effectiveness: The material in program is more focus to teach speaking and listening. It seen from some material such as phrases and dialog which drill students’ pronunciation and improving their comprehension in listening.
- Performance (Attractiveness): This program shows modern layout. It proved from colorful of visual aid, moving charts, amusing back sound and clear voice of native speaker. Moreover, this program enables students to interact with other people because of the availability of online button.
- Title : English Word
Level : Beginner to Intermediate.
Aspect of Skill : Vocabulary
- Interactivity (feedback and instruction): This program is very entertaining and interesting for students especially young learners, because it performances same with the video games with engage students actively during learning process. This program is more appropriate if used in students mid term or final examination, because the purposes of this program was designed to aid students face examination without feeling of depressing and worrying.
- Usability (Flexibility): This program is easily-operated and navigated. The topics/activities are varied and interesting. The sound system is excellent. Besides, Learners can choose what particular topics/activities and how long they want to learn.
- Content appropriateness: This program provides some materials in different level from easiest to hardest. Therefore, a teacher should choose appropriate materials based on students’ need and level. Actually, this program is more emphasizing to examine student’s mastery of vocabulary which packaged in several games; Road hog, Rescue, Night search, and Frozen food. In brief, I suggest this program is very useful used by teacher as material of examination.
- Effectiveness: As mentioned above, this program is more concern to exam students’ mastery of vocabulary, so in my opinion this program is not necessary in improving students’ grammar.
- Performance (Attractiveness): This Program’s performance is very entertaining because it consist of much attractive games. Besides, the layout of the screen is very colorful, the music is fair amusing even sometimes little bit monotonous. One of the special qualities of this program is providing button of students’ record score which enable teacher to give score in examination directly
- Title : Easy to Sing.
Level : Beginner.
Aspect of Skill : Speaking
- Interactivity (feedback and instruction): There is almost no interactivity in this program. This program is addressed to young learners at beginner level to drill their pronunciation. In short, this program designed for pleasure to attract young learner attention to study English.
- Usability (flexibility): This program is quite interesting for young children because the songs are easy to sing, and the subtitles are available. It’s difficult to navigate the program because it needs supporting software to operate it.
- Content appropriateness: This program is suitable for young children. The songs are varied and easy to sing.
- Effectiveness: This program is not really effective to improve students’ ability to speak English because this program is only for fun. The only exercise is singing. The linguistic component in this program is only pronunciation and listening, but they are not the main skills.
- Performance (attractiveness): The performance and appearance are fair and monotonous.